The evolution of girl gamers
Boy gamers are so self-centered they act as though women haven’t been playing video games for decades, and then act horrified when the female gamers who have always been there actually become visible and vocal about the rampant misogyny that has infected the gaming world.
Like seriously, how entitled do you have to be that women saying “it sure would be nice if I wasn’t treated like shit while enjoying the games I play” translates to “I must be catered to” when video games have LITERALLY been catered to men for decades?
- 1993 - 64% of girls reported playing video games
- 1996 - “home use had increased for fourth grade girls”
- 1998 - “both male and female adolescents play video games on a regular basis.“
- 1999 - “88% of the female college students … surveyed were video game players.”
- 2007 - 20-47% of adolescent girls play video games
- 2008 - “94% of girls play video games”
- 2010 - “Forty percent of all game players are women.”
- 2012 - “Women 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (30%) than boys age 17 or younger"
- 2013 -“adult women are nearly half of all video game players”
I didn’t get all the dates, but I think you can get the point.
Also considered posting my own personal gaming history, but I would’ve had to go back to the 80s for that. e_e
I remember the bullshit OP image years ago but it didn’t have the beautiful carefully sourced history lesson at the time.
I think it’s amusing that OP thinks gaming history started in 1993. The rest of it is just hilarious.